Government of New Brunswick

Employees who believe that their employer may be in violation of the Employment Standards Act are encouraged to contact our office for assistance and to discuss the circumstances surrounding their complaint. You can file a complaint in one of several ways:

  1. You can contact us by phone, toll-free at 1-888-452-2687
  2. You can visit the Employment Standards Branch nearest you and speak with an officer.
  3. You can write to us at Department of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour, Employment Standards Branch, P.O. Box 6000, Fredericton, NB  E3B 5H1.
  4. You can print and complete the complaint form and send it to us either by fax at
    1-(506) 453-3806 or by mail at the above-noted address.
  5. You can complete and submit the online complaint form.

An Employment Standards Officer will work with both the employer and the employee to determine whether a violation of the Act has occurred. In the event either party is unsatisfied with the results of the investigation, they have the right to refer the matter to the Labour and Employment Board for adjudication. This is the final step in the complaint process, where employers and employees are able to present their arguments before the Labour and Employment Board by members, or with representation. The Board, after hearing and considering the evidence, makes a final and binding determination of the case either upholding, overturning, or altering an order, or dismissing the complaint.

Decisions rendered at the Labour and Employment Board, pursuant to the Employment Standards Act, are available in the following database; CanLii – The Canadian Legal Information Institute. (Note: searches can be made by entering subject matter, sections of the Employment Standards Act, case names, year decision rendered, etc.)